Sunday, July 10, 2005

It's been a few days since my last post. Don't worry though, I've been hard at work. One bit of news, I filled out an email interview for Leon Brocard, check it out on the Perl Foundation's website.

I Think at this point I'm pretty much done with phase one of my proposal. What I need to do now is start collecting my thoughts about what I've learned and just get them all out into a huge document. I'm not sure how this document is going to be organized, it might just be a big FAQ or maybe just my ramblings presented in a more organized manner. Either way, I'll post this doc on my personal website.

From here on out it's all about the fun stuff, CODE! I'm just going to start pumping out code and placing it on my site. Unfortnatly I don't really have any kind of SCC server I can post on so we're going to have to go with regular snapshots in tgz format.

This is where I'm going to go from here:
  1. Document, document, document. I'm going to start working on a document with all I've learned from using SWIG and GCJ with Perl.
  2. Finish CNI bindings for Perl as well as nail down conversion of primitive Java types between Perl and Java/C++.
  3. Write a utility to XS wrap a Java class.
  4. Look at getting Inline::Java to use GCJ. Possibly get Inline::Java act like Inline::CPP by compiling the Inlined Java class nativey. This will however take a back seat to the next piece of the project.
  5. Write Java::Include to allow a Perl script to use Java classes. This is the big one. In fact, I think it should have first priority.
Well, as you can see there's still a lot of work to do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if you were ever given a mentor, but you should definitely hook up with the author of Java::Swing, which had it's most recent release yesterday and is probably by far the biggest example of current Perl/Java integration.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Pradeep said...

Nice to see a fellow Michiganite accepted for SoC. I am also just starting in UM. Good luck with your project ! Go Blue !!!

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home